Friday, July 20, 2012

Two Cheese Squash Casserole

I knew this would be a hit at my house.....squash, breadcrumbs, cheese, of course!  I added a zucchini in there because we had it and for a color variety.  I'm fond of multi-colored food.  One color doesn't look appealing to me at all.  

Two Cheese Squash Casserole

4 pounds yellow squash (or zucchini, or a mixture)
4 T butter, divided
NOT 1 large sweet onion.  (Seriously, isn't sweet onion an oxymoron?  Blech.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided (I actually didn't have enough so I finished with Panko.  I'd do it again!)
1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan, divided
1 cup shredded cheddar
NOT 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives (yup, I don't like those either....onion cousins.)
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 container sour cream (sub plain Greek yogurt for a less fat, more protein version)
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp garlic salt

Cook squash in boiling water to cover in large skillet 8-10 minutes or just until tender.  Drain well, genly press between paper towels.

Melt 2T butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and saute 5-6 minutes or until tender.  Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and next 7 ingredients.  



Spoon into greased 13x9 baking dish.
Melt remaining 2T butter.  Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt.  Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes.


It was yummy and my oldest even requested it again the next night....luckily I made a 9x13 of it and had plenty of leftovers!


(8-10 servings)
(Southern Living May 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment